Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Deborah

Deborah , a woman of Africa who is dying of aids. She contracted aids from her husband who has already died....his grave is in her front yard with the graves of two of her children who died at birth due to viral overload. She has 6 children who are not postive, and the child she holds on her lap is not her own. The child's mother and father died of aids and Deborah cares for their child. The child is HIV positive.

Deborah agreed to be questioned and filmed by us while we were in her home in 2008.She wanted her story shared so that others might be spared the ravaging effects of aids. Education...knowing...is everything!

She is precious....her smile is beautiful.

Deborah lives in small, mud house...dirt floor, a table, some chairs, blankets on the floor...no running water. She is hungry, her children are hungry. She reports that she sometimes has work "weeding" for others. We left a small amount of food for her. She also reported that she is faithful to take her aids medication , which is free to her (US govt pays for it). We prayed with her...Rosemary praying in Deborah's native tongue..Swahili.

Our sister in Kenya, Susan...who is an RN and aids educator...took food to Deborah and her children on behalf of my family and our friend, Valerie. It was our Christmas for her. Along with food, I included a letter from myself that Susan read to her as she delivered the food.

This is...she is...real life. In my letter I told Deborah that until we die our life matters. Her life matters....to God, to her children...and now it matters to me and to my children. She has inspired me...to be stronger...to know that I can persevere through pain...and my heart, again....is full to overflowing. She shares my name...what an honor that I share hers.

God is good.

No comments: